Sega outsourced publishing rights to Forever Entertainment, who sought preserving the original Panzer Dragoon's gameplay while updating the visuals for modern audiences. The remake was developed without Panzer Dragoon creator Yukio Futatsugi's direct involvement.
The remake was released digitally in 2020 for the Nintendo Switch, Google Stadia, Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4/5, Amazon Luna, and Xbox One and Series X/S. Physical copies of Panzer Dragoon: Remake by Limited Run Games were released for Nintendo Switch in late 2020, with a PlayStation 4 physical release planned for 2021. and soundtrack Forever Entertainment have also collected preorders for Panzer Dragoon: Remake sets, via their Forever Limited website.
Panzer Dragoon: Remake received mixed reviews from critics. Its general faithfulness to the original game was praised, while its controls, bugs, short length, and lack of bonus features were criticized. The game was nonetheless a financial success.
Post-launch, Forever Entertainment collected feedback and released patches that fixed issues and added several features, such as a Pandora's Box mode and a rearranged soundtrack by Saori Kobayashi, the composer for Panzer Dragoon Saga and Panzer Dragoon Orta. A remake of Panzer Dragoon II Zwei, titled Panzer Dragoon II Zwei: Remake, is slated for release in 2021.
The gameplay remains largely the same as the original Saturn version, barring the addition of the optional Modern control scheme.
Differences from the original Saturn game
Aside from the massively overhauled visuals and music, Remake also includes other differences.
This ties movement to the left stick, and aiming of the reticle to the right stick, with shooting mapped to the triggers. There is no option to customize control options in the Switch version, aside from opting for Modern or Classic controls, inverting the Y-axis, and changing the crosshair's sensitivity.
Panzer Dragoon: Remake is largely the same across all platforms, with some minor differences. The Nintendo Switch version does not feature achievements, although subsequent releases added these. Cloud Saves are not listed on the GOG.com listing for Panzer Dragoon: Remake.
- The game was originally released on Switch as a timed console exclusive, before being released on Stadia, PC and other platforms. It initially launched with only the original soundtrack available, and no option to use the Kobayashi tracks. The game was patched on April 2nd, 2020 to add in the new soundtrack.
- The Kobayashi patch featured other changes as well, including SFX changes, HP balances, and cutscene fixes.
- The remake's left and right view-switching inputs only register when the L or R button is released, not when they're pressed. This was at first mistaken by players for input lag.
- The remake features additional secret maneuvers not found in the Saturn version. These are:
- Dodge - Facing forward, double-tap and hold left or right on the d-pad to cause the Blue Dragon to quickly fly in the indicated direction.
- Roll - Activated the same as the dodge, but only when the player's health is flashing red. This causes the view to spin on the X-axis in the direction of the roll.
- Roll attack - Before executing a roll, hold the fire button. Once your roll finishes, you'll automatically target all enemies on-screen. Release the fire button to unleash an oppressive volley of shots.
A number of physical editions of Panzer Dragoon: Remake from Limited Run Games have been released or are planned.
- Standard Edition (Switch)
- Classic Edition (Switch)
- Standard Edition (PS4)
- Classic Edition (PS4)
- Panzer Dragoon Legacy - The Panzer Dragoon: Remake Standard Edition is Now Shipping
- Panzer Dragoon Legacy - Limited Run Games Confirms PlayStation 4 Physical Release
- Panzer Dragoon Legacy - Panzer Dragoon: Remake Soundtrack Confirmed by Limited Run Games
- Panzer Dragoon Legacy - Forever Entertainment Announces "Forever Limited" Website Featuring New Panzer Dragoon: Remake Physical Editions!
- Panzer Dragoon Legacy - Forever Entertainment Presents Record Results for Q1 2020 After Panzer Dragoon: Remake's Launch
- Panzer Dragoon Legacy - Panzer Dragoon: Remake is Now Available Digitally on Nintendo Switch!
- Panzer Dragoon Legacy - The First Patch for Panzer Dragoon: Remake is Now Available
- Official site
- Official Twitter
- Official game page (Nintendo Switch)
- Panzer Dragoon: Remake on Steam
- Panzer Dragoon: Remake on GOG.com
- Panzer Dragoon: Remake - PlayStation Store
- Panzer Dragoon: Remake - Microsoft Store
- Game page on Forever Entertainment's website
- Panzer Dragoon: Remake on Panzer Dragoon World
- Panzer Dragoon: Remake on Panzer Dragoon Legacy
|Panzer Dragoon series|
|Original series||Panzer Dragoon (PC conversion • Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 27) • II Zwei • Saga • Orta|
|Remakes||Panzer Dragoon: Remake • II Zwei: Remake • Voyage Record|
|Handheld games||Mini • Tiger Electronics|
|Non-Panzer Dragoon games||Crimson Dragon • Crimson Dragon: Side Story|
|Developers||Team Andromeda • Smilebit • Land Ho • MegaPixel Studio • Wildman, Inc|
|Publishers||Sega • Forever Entertainment • TA Publishing • Wildman, Inc|
|Staff||Yukio Futatsugi • Tomohiro Kondo • Akihiko Mukaiyama • Haruto Watanabe|